Reasons to Join
Membership in Sigma Gamma Epsilon tells prospective employers and colleagues that you are a strong, professionally motivated student. Members serve their departments in a number of ways such as organizing field trips, tutoring, arranging displays, etc. Many chapters have money-raising activities to obtain funds to use for scholarships or awards or to purchase items needed for student use which the department cannot afford. Membership also includes subscription to a professional journal, The Compass. Members of Sigma Gamma Epsilon are encouraged to submit articles to this highly respected journal, as it provides the opportunity to share your research with the society. As an associated society of the Geological Society of America, Sigma Gamma Epsilon members are entitled to GSA-member rates for registration at national and regional meetings and for purchase of GSA publications.
- Declared major or minor in any branch of the Earth Sciences
- Completed 10 semester hours in Earth Science Courses
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 G.P.A. (on a 4.0 system) in all Earth Science courses
- Maintain a minimum 2.67 G.P.A. in all college courses
Becoming A Member
- Complete the Initiate Application
- Upon completion of the application, you will receive an email indicating if you have been approved
- If approved, turn in a copy of the acceptance letter with the indicated initiation fee
- An officer of Gamma Sigma chapter will propose you for membership at a regular meeting. A majority vote is required by the chapter members on your application to approve it. The vote is taken to assure that in the eyes of the members you have demonstrated your interest in the profession by participation in your department's activities.
- Attend Initiation to complete the induction process